A splash of vivid orange for the summer BBQ table.
SheWhoMustBeFed came home with a humungous bag of carrots after the organic market where she works closed up for a well deserved Christmas break. Having a distinct shortage of rabbits and horses around the place this necessitated some Invention In The Kitchen of the carroty type.
Thus was created an Oh So Easy To Make, yet Oh So Very Nice To Eat salad that is Oh So Very Orangey.
On the off-chance that you find yourself with a humungous bag of carrots here’s what you can do with them:
- Many carrots, grated
- Many cooked chickpeas (for a kilo of carrots I’d use three tins. Adjust as necessary)
- A bag of slivered almonds
- A clutch of parsley, chopped
- A clutch of fennel fluffy bits, chopped
- A lemon or two, squeezed bereft of their juiciness
- A few cloves of garlic, mashed
- A pour of toasted sesame oil
- Olive oil
- Fry the chickpeas, garlic, salt, and pepper in a generous splash of tamari and (as always) a splash of olive oil. Don’t burn the garlic or you will be asked to sit in the corner wearing a Dummy’s Hat.
- In a saucepan fry the almonds in some more olive oil. Don’t burn the nuts or you will be asked to sit in the corner wearing a Dummy Hat and a set of those Charlie Chaplin eyebrows and mustache things. You’re aiming for a light brown colour – immediately you achieve this remove from heat and drain the oil using a sieve (discard oil).
- Toss together the carrots, fried chickpeas, parsley, fennel, lemon juice, sesame oil, and cooked nuts.
- If making ahead of time don’t add the nuts until just before serving.