That got your attention didn’t it….Chocolate….
- 1 ½ cups plain flour (organic, stoneground, white flour – preferably NOT “strong” flour which is used primarily for bread making)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 tspn bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tspn salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tspn vinegar
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to moderate temperature (180˚C).
- Grease and flour a standard sized square cake tin, (or a round one of equivalent size, which would be perhaps 30cm in diameter).
- Mix all ingredients together lightly and thoroughly with a fork.
- Pour into tin and cook for approximately 35 minutes or until cake pulls away slightly from the edge of the tin.
- Test with a thin skewer in the centre of the cake. If the skewer comes out dry, then the cake is ready.
- Cool the cake mostly in the tin, then turn out onto a cake rack.
- When cool, ice with chocolate icing, or just eat the cake as is.
This has passed the vigorous “Non vegan visiting children test” with flying colours, and has also won special awards at the “School fair – I can’t believe it is vegan” category.