This is a home developed version of a traditional Greek dish known as γίγαντες πλακί, which I am sure that you know is pronounced yee-gahn-dess plar-kee. Also known as “baked beans for grown ups” (*).
This dish is also used as a basis for several other recipes in the VegHead’s kitchen, so if you see another recipe that calls for “giant baked beans” this is it. We make a batch of this up generally once a week and most of it then goes into other recipes.
Things wot go in…
- 500 grams of cooked butter beans
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely sliced and chopped
- 2 teaspoons of chopped dill
- 2 teaspoons of chopped parsley
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of light miso
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Boiled water
- Dissolve the miso and tomato pastes in about 1/4 cup of boiled water
- Mix all ingredients. If it looks too dry add a little more water. If you accidentally add too much water then increase the cooking time.
- Bake in a covered dish in a pre-heated hot oven for about 30 minutes
* hahaha – just reviewed this post before publishing and spotted that I had mistyped “baked beans for grown ups” as “naked beans for grown ups”. Lucky I saw that…